The Straight Scoop:
- Said he takes “the President at his word, that I was fired because of the Russia investigation. Something about the way I was conducting it, the President felt, created pressure on him that he wanted to relieve.”
- Said President Trump lied and tried to “defame” him and the FBI, by saying the “organization was in disarray” and “poorly led”.
- Said he had no doubt Russia tried to interfere in the election and was behind the DNC email hack and dissemination of the information.
- Said he “had seen no indication of that whatsoever” that any votes had been altered
- Said neither President Trump nor anyone in his administration asked him to stop the FBI investigation into Russian involvement in the 2016 election.
- Said President Trump did not direct him to let Flynn go. He Quoted President Trump a> saying to him “I hope you can see your way clear to letting this go, to letting Flynn go” he thought it was “a very disturbing thing, very concerning”, that he “took it as a direction” but “those words were not an order”.
- Said he could not comment on the Steele dossier in open session because it “goes into details of the investigation.”
- Said cyber intrusions were going on all the time and Russia had “hundreds” of attempts and could be more than 1,000
- Said the FBI did not have access to the DNC server that was hacked, but got forensic information from a private party
- Said his decision to go public with the Hillary Clinton email investigation was influenced by former Attorney General Loretta Lynch’s tarmac meeting with former President Bill Clinton; that he “had to do something separately to protect the credibility of the investigation.”
- Said former Attorney General Loretta Lynch “had directed me not to call it an investigation, but instead call it a matter, which confused and concerned me…gave me a queasy feeling”
- Said he took notes on his meeting with President Trump because he “was honestly concerned that he might lie about the nature of our meeting.”
- Said while he was director, the President was not under investigation.
- Said the New York Times article that suggested the Trump campaign was colluding with the Russians “in the main, was not true.”
- When discussing the Russian investigation with President Trump he quoted the President as saying if any of the people surrounding his campaign “did something wrong, it would be great to know that”.
- Said he asked “a friend of mine to share the content of the memo with a reporter…because I thought that might prompt the appointment of a special counsel.”
- Said “there have been many, many stories purportedly based on classified information about – well, about lots of stuff, but especially about Russia, that are just dead wrong.”
The Left Spin
The Right Spin